I’m watching TV last night when a car commercial comes on for the 2013 piss me off automobile. We are now in the 8th week of 2012 and automobile companies are already saying that a new car is the “2013 model.” Isn’t that rushing things a bit? I mean we are only 20% through 2012, many people are still writing 2011 on their checks and the automotive industry has already decided this year is going to suck so bad that they want to skip right over it. Talk about your downer attitudes.
I never understood the logic as to why car companies pull this shit but I’ve come up with a few theories as to why they think it might be a good idea:
- Automotive marketing executives think all car buyers are idiots who don’t know what day it is, let alone what year.
- The car companies think there new car design is so radically different than anything else the car buying public has ever seen that they won’t notice they’ve skipped a whole year.
- It’s actually a psychology quiz to see if you are actually paying any attention. If you go in and ask for the 2012 model they will actually sell you the new 2013 model at this year’s price (or maybe they will sell you the 2011 model at next year’s price).
- It’s a conspiracy and they are doing it just to piss me off because I think that’s the way the world should work.
- And finally the “This Is Spinal Tap” theory…you know “this one goes to 11.” Think about it but if you need any help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY
Well, I’m glad I got that off my chest. Time to get back to surfing ebay. I hear the new 2013 model golf clubs are coming out and I need to get a job on next year’s golf game.